Are you looking to learn a new skill, or buy someone a quirky gift? Is your gift recipient into tech, or are you looking to treat yourself? If so, then check out these awesome coding kits for adults.
Choosing a perfect gift can be a difficult job. Especially if you are giving to someone who is interested in all things technology, choosing the best gift can be hard. These coding kits for adults provide entertainment and learning for beginners.
Take a look at our favorite starter kit must-haves below. You can teach the programming principles and essentials to yourself or a gift recipient.
Coding Kits for Adults: Our Top Picks
Take a look at our top picks for the ultimate coding kit for adults. These fun projects are a great brain teaser for at-home fun or for learning a new skill to add to your tool belt. Read on below for our top picks.
1. Freenove Ultimate Starter Kit for BBC Micro:bit (V2 Contained), 316-Page Detailed Tutorial, 225 Items, 44 Projects, Blocks, and Python Code, Solderless Breadboard
This ultimate starter kit from Freenove is a great way to get into coding. Micro:bit is a tiny, programmable computer that makes learning programming simple and fun. you will learn how to use micro:bit with both hands-on experience and online tutorials.
The detailed online tutorials teach programming languages Blocks, and Python. Blocks is an easy-to-use graphical programming, that is ideal for complete beginners. Python is one of the most popular programming languages in the coding world. You should note that Python is typically for more advanced users.
The online video tutorials are made up of a 305-page online document. The kit also contains:
- 225 common items needed to complete the projects in the tutorial.
- 44 interesting projects with circuit diagrams and verified codes. They also include detailed explanations on how to complete each one.
- Access to online technical support to answer any questions you have.
For your first starter kit, this is a great option for beginner coders or those looking to pick up new coding languages like Python.
Things we like:
- 44 projects to work on, so you have got a wide selection of choices to learn and expand your coding knowledge.
- Online tutorials to guide you through new topics or programming experiences.
Things we don’t like:
- Lots of pieces and electronic components can be overwhelming for beginner coders.
2. ELEGOO Mega R3 Project The Most Complete Ultimate Starter Kit w/ TUTORIAL Compatible with Arduino IDE
The MEGA complete starter kit comes packed with more than 200 pieces and is 100% compatible with Arduino IDE using a Raspberry PI. This kit can also be a great investment for advanced users. The ultimate kit works for various experiments for engineers or experienced coders.
For beginners, the free pdf tutorial contains 35 lessons. For those without programming experience, you will realize that learning electronics is more fun than you may think.
The kit contains a MEGA controller board and expansion boards. It also has over 60 kinds of components and sensors. These allow you to complete all the projects within the kit. The storage also contains separate segments to keep the widgets such as the LED, IC, buttons, and diodes separated for ease.
This adult kit is perfect for anyone with an interest in electronics, programming, or robotics programming. It allows them to take their first steps in their electronics journey.
Things we like:
- Nice packaging to provide simple organizing and segmentation.
- 35 lessons on how to work on different projects, coding patterns, and more.
- Suitable for all levels of knowledge. The kit is great whether you are a coding novice or you have plenty of building experience.
3. ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot Car Kit V4 with UNO R3, Line Tracking Module, Ultrasonic Sensor, IR Remote Control, etc. Intelligent and Educational Toy Car Robotic Kit for Arduino Learner
Ever wanted to build your robot? Well with this ELEGOO Smart Robot Kit, you can. This educational kit is a great gift for a lover of programming or a great addition to your collection. This kit provides hands-on experience with programming, electronics assembly, and robotics.
This programmable robot car has easy-to-follow tutorials for 24 module parts. These help you to assemble the droid and then control the robot via iOS or Android systems.
The model interface is modified with XH2 and has 54 ports. This makes it much easier and more convenient to assemble from scratch. The necessary programs and codes are included. This allows you to follow the building instructions with ease.
Once you have built your robot, you can operate it using several modes. These include auto-go, infrared control, obstacle avoidance, and line tracking modes. Each mode allows you to learn how to load programs onto the device and command the car to run as you instruct it.
The amount of interactivity you have with this robot allows you to expand your mind and have plenty of fun with friends and family.
Applicable for users aged 12+, so this is something the whole family will enjoy.
Things we like:
- Once you have built your robot, you can still interact and play with it with family and friends.
- Controllable from both iOS and Android software.
- Teaches you how to program onto a device.
- A great introduction to programming for beginners.
4. ELECROW Raspberry Pi 4 Kit, Raspberry Pi Laptop, CrowPi2 Programming Learning Kit for Kids Adult – Basic Kit, RPI Not Included
The CrowPi2 Advanced Kit is a programming kit that contains 76 lessons and 20 creative projects. This all-in-one board kit provides Raspberry Pi learning. It has 22 kinds of sensors and modules provided in the same kit.
This is great for computer labs and classes. It is a well-planned, designed, and manufactured kit. The kit is compact enough to fit in your laptop bag and take anywhere you go.
This kit includes two games, remote controls, 10 Minecraft cube modeling, and a 10 NFC card. You will also get one python programming book and one scratch programming book.
This is ideal for those looking to learn to program. This starter kit works as a small personal computer to practice your programming skills.
Things we like:
- Contains 76 lessons to advance your programming skills.
- Ideal for those looking to advance their current programming skills.
Things we don’t like:
- You will need to buy your raspberry pi to use this device.
- The kit does not include a power bank.
5. KEYESTUDIO 37 Sensors in 1 Box Starter Kit for BBC Micro bit with Tutorial (Without Microbit Board), Compatible with V1.5, V2 Microbit Sensor Kit Accessories Programming Gift for Kids Adults
Looking to learn electronics programming? This excellent STEM kit is a great way to get started. This kit includes everything you will need to learn electronics programming. It includes detailed tutorials and all the parts you need.
In the box, you will get 37 different kinds of common sensors. You will also receive a keyestudio sensor shield that is fully compatible with a micro bit board. The detailed tutorial provides an introduction to wiring, testing, and driver installations. It also has example projects you could conduct with the kit.
Produced by the BBC, this kit is only half the size of a credit card. This allows you to do creative robotics, open-source hardware manufacturing, and exportation. This kit offers comprehensive learning for novices and experts.
The kit is ideal for those with a keen interest in programming. It is great because it works for both beginners and experienced users.
Things we like:
- This can work with both coding novices and advanced learners.
- A range of tests can be done to use new skills and different knowledge.
Things we don’t like:
- The micro bit board is not included and would need to be purchased separately.
6. ARDUINO The Official Starter Kit Deluxe Bundle with Make: Getting Started The Open Source Electronics Prototyping Platform 3rd Edition
Have you ever wanted to craft a spaceship interface design, or create a master control device that can hack into other devices and allow you to control them? Or are you simply interested in designing lamps that respond to your touch?
Luckily, Arduino’s Official Starter Kit Bundle provides you with an electronic prototyping platform that allows you to get your hands dirty however you want.
The Arduino Official Starter Kit Bundle is specially designed from a beginner’s point of view helps them to understand the concepts very clearly and implement them in real-time applications.
It consists of neatly-arranged, high-quality components that allow you to create amazing projects. In terms of performance, the Arduino starter kit is also commendable, as it features 2KB RAM for storing information.
Moreover, the kit is packed with over 15 different projects, so you won’t have to shop around for breadboards, sensors, LEDs, etc.
The Arduino Official Starter Kit Bundle also contains a detailed set of instructions to help you jumpstart your projects, and is ideal for both beginners and experienced users who wish to leap from Novice to Expert levels.
Things we like:
- Includes a 170-page, step-by-step Project Book that contains instructions and tutorials of all projects to guide you every step of the way
- Acts as a great hands-on learning tool
- 15 different projects to choose from
- A great way to learn about circuits and electricity
Things we don’t like:
- Contains lots of miniature electronic components, which can be overwhelming for a novice
- When compared to other alternatives, it’s a bit pricey
Coding Kits for Adults: Read this before you buy
We have showcased the best coding kits for adults for you. Now we will get into some of the nitty-gritty to help you make the best decision before you buy.
Which coding kit for adults is the best option for beginners?
The Freenove starter kit would be the best kit for beginners. This kit teaches you two different coding languages, which is going to give you a good basis to then further your knowledge.
Which coding kit for adults is the most advanced?
That entirely depends on your experience with programming. Both the Keyestudio and Elecrow kits need extra parts that do not come with the kits. This might be suitable for those with more programming knowledge. This is because they will already know what extra elements they need to combine with the kit.
What are the common differences between these starter kits?
Each kit provides users with different programming knowledge, or what you are building is different. Here are some examples.
- Freenove: You will be learning two coding languages, Blocks and Python, using a micro bit board.
- Elegoo Mega R3: The Arduino IDE board uses a Raspberry PI, allowing you to do things such as displaying messages, operating a small fan, and more.
- Elegoo UNO R3: This kit helps you to construct your robot.
- Elecrow: This kit allows you to do anything from using household items to making a piano or building on Minecraft.
- Keyestudio: With this micro bit-based board, you can detect temperatures, create a traffic light, magnetic switch, and more.
- Arduino: A starter kit that makes learning about electricity and circuits both fun and easy.
Coding kits for adults: Commonly asked questions
Take a look at some of the top commonly asked questions around coding for adults, to help you make your purchase that much easier.
What is coding?
Coding is the process of transforming an idea or instruction into the language that computers speak. This is called binary-machine code. Coding is how we can “talk” with computers, and program robots, machines, and more to do as we need them to do.
What is a Raspberry Pi?
A Raspberry Pi is a computer, about the size of a credit card, that plugs into a computer monitor or TV. It enables people to explore computing, and learn how to program in computer languages. One example of a common computer language is called Python.
What is Arduino used for?
An open-source electronics platform, Arduino is based on easy-to-use hardware and software. You can use an Arduino board to read inputs, such as a light on a sensor, a received message, or a finger on a button. It also lets you turn it into an output. This will allow you to do things like activating a motor, turning on a light, or sending an email.
What is the difference between Arduino and Raspberry Pi?
Arduino is designed for the real-world building of models and prototypes, using simple coding for control. In a sense, it teaches the interaction between software and hardware. This is what allows users to use it to do things like turn on lights, send messages, etc.
A Raspberry Pi is a mini-computer, which allows you to learn programming and software development. Whilst you can use a Raspberry Pi to activate hardware, that is not its primary purpose.
Arduino: the real-world building of models using coding.
Raspberry Pi: a mini-computer to learn programming and development.
What to consider when buying a coding kit for adults as a gift?
If you are giving a coding kit to a fellow adult, you need to consider what their experience level with programming is. If the recipient already has knowledge of programming, opt for an advanced robot kit. They will be able to use their love for programming to enjoy building something like a robot.
If your recipient is a novice, look to get them a starter kit that teaches them some basic languages. Python is great because it allows them to expand their knowledge before they get into something more complex, like robot building.
What is the difference between a coding kit for adults vs. children?
As a parent, introducing your child to coding is going to be a different intention than if you are doing coding as an adult. Kids and adults come to coding with different motivations, expectations, and needs.
As a child, coding may be fun that is introduced through a game. As an adult, this could be a skill you are looking to learn to further your education and end up seeking as a profession.
Kits for children are going to be more game-based, with more hands-on learning to get them involved without them becoming bored. An adult-based kit is going to be more direct. This means it will provide you with straightforward instructions to build whatever it is you are creating.
Do coding and programming involve maths?
Programming and coding need basic knowledge of mathematics. You will be building logical sequences around numbers. Coders must have some level of understanding of maths before beginning their coding journey. Without an understanding of certain mathematical concepts, coders and programmers may not be successful.
This being said, you can teach yourself any skill with determination and patience. Even if maths is not your strong point, give coding and programming a go if it interests you, and you can learn along the way.
How difficult is coding?
Coding is not hard to learn, but you need time and patience. You can learn anything when you are dedicated and willing to put the hours in. Learning how to code takes time and persistence, as you will be learning a new language. But if you can put time and patience into your journey, you will get there.
Coding Kits for Adults: Brands
Now you know more about coding, we will dive deeper into the brands of the kits themselves, to see what else they produce and stand for.
Freenove provides products and services for those who love technology, STEM education, and open-source electronics. They produce a range of products and services. Here are some examples.
- Kits to learn programming and electronics
- Kits that are compatible with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, micro:bit, and more.
- Kits to build robots, smart cars, and drones.
- Components, modules, and tools that you may need to assist you in your programming, or device building.
- Design, customization, and manufacturing services.
The history of the brand name comes from the word electronic, “ele” means open-source electronic. “Goo” comes from the word “googol,” which means the 100th power of 10. Elegoo combines open-source electronics and structures that create everything in our digital world.
The brand was founded in 2015. It is dedicated to providing the world’s creators with practical kits. These kits have both electronic and structural tools for programming.
Highly regarded across the world, ELEGOO is a leader in the 3D printing industry. It is also a product leader across maker communities and STEM classrooms worldwide.
Elecrow is a business that works to integrate research, development, production, and sales. It also has a focus on open-source hardware. Working on products related to STEAM education and smart homes, they help creators and startups bring their ideas to life.
They also have assistance across supply chain jobs. This allows them to focus on development and marketing.
There are 200 distributors of Elecrow products worldwide. Here are some examples.
- PCB manufacturing
- Part sourcing services
- Flashing and testing services
- Sub-assembly and kitting services
- PCB assembly services
Keyestudio works alongside Taiwan Qi Yang technology. Keyestudio produces educational robots and robotic peripheral products. Taiwan Qi Yang Technology has over 10 years of experience in robot development. Working with this company has allowed Keyestudio to begin developing a series of smart educational products.
Keyes produces a range of robot-making starter kits and robot-making sensors. They have also developed a brand of robot-making control panels. They want to use their influence and products to inspire all ages. They hope these kids can develop their abilities in programming, logistics, and creativity.
The Arduino Corporation is an Italian-based company that competes in producing low-cost and easy-to-use products. One of their unique selling points is their accessibility to almost anyone, from students to professionals.
With a mission to enable anyone to access electronics and digital technologies, Arduino designs, manufactures, and supports a wide range of devices and software, allowing people worldwide to easily access these advanced technologies.
Arduino Education, one of its sub-sections, is devoted to creating the next generation of STEAM programs. These straightforward, simple, yet powerful programs encourage students of all age groups on their learning journeys.
Coding Kits for Adults: Overview
These have been the most popular coding kits for adults, the top coding kit brands, and commonly asked questions. If you are looking at buying a gift for a fellow tech enthusiast, these coding kits are the best in the game. Or if you are looking at investing in a kit for your development, these kits are the perfect choice for you.
From coding your robot to learning how to program controls, these coding kits are top-tier. The kits will provide you with amazing new skills that can further your career. These skills can even help you in other areas of your life too.
Let us know if you invest in any of these coding kits. Also, let us know how you did with your first coding project.
I’m a Tech Lead, Software Engineer and Programming Coach. I want to help you in your journey to become a Super Developer!